10 Ways to Serve Veterans Safely
Don’t let the pandemic stand in your way! Here are 10 ideas for serving veterans safely.
- Hold a walking parade past nursing home or hospital windows. Create encouraging signs and include your families and pets!
- Become pen pals with a veteran and visit through mail.
- Host a drive-through meal at the Lodge, where local veteran families can safely pick up food to go.
- Send cards and craft kits to hospitalized veterans or those who are staying home.
- Make a video of a musical performance, storytelling, or poetry reading by your Lodge members to share with veterans.
- Sponsor a virtual bingo game that veterans can participate in from their rooms.
- Cater a themed meal for a Veterans Home, and create trivia, bingo, or another game to go along with the evening’s theme.
- Deliver entertainment to veteran homes: books, puzzles, games, DVDs, activity or coloring books, iTunes cards, sudoku, etc. Talk with the hospital or nursing home’s activity staff to see what they can use.
- Hold a clothing drive. Focus on one essential area, like socks and underwear, or winter gear.
- Host a scavenger hunt with prizes for veteran families in your area. This activity can be adapted for kids to complete indoors, or across the community if outdoor activities are possible.
Looking for more ideas? Check out these recent articles about how other Lodges are adjusting and serving.
Take it Outside: Moving Events Outdoors
Adapting your Stand Down Project
Socially Distant Welcome Home Kits
Zoom Visits, Meals for Seniors, Coffee and Snacks
Food Baskets, Care Packages and Holiday Gifts
Back to top