In January, the Elks began a campaign to beautify Route No. 2 (now Business Loop 70) with a 18-foot wide road and parking in between the lanes from Mores Station to Sexton Road. The Elks asked the city council to refuse licenses for "restaurants, cheap filing stations and other Tawdry shacks that might be erected to cater to the desires of tourists." Exalted Ruler George S. Starrett, Boone County prosecuting attorney, told the Columbia Daily Tribune "members believe it would be a mistake for Columbia, the largest town between St. Louis and Kansas City on No. 2 and educational center in the state not to take advantage of this opportunity to beautify a street which will become the principal Boulevard and over which estimated from 4,000 to 5,000 cars will pass daily." -Columbia Daily Tribune, Jan. 23 and 26, 1926
In March, 25 members traveled to Fayette by bus for a dinner given by Howard County men who were to be initiated into Lodge #594. Fayette was not large enough to secure a charter from the Grand Lodge.
The Elks observed Flag Day on June 14. Two prizes were awarded to high school students for essays on "The American Flag." The program included instrumental and vocal numbers, the Pledge of Allegiance and Elks rituals.
Eleven Columbia Elks attended the National Convention in Chicago. Seven participated in the big clay pigeon classic.
Columbia Elks formed a bowling team to compete against other Lodges. By 1928, Lodge #594 could boast that it was undegeated on its home alleys.
MU Athletic Director C.L. Brewer, Coach Gwinn Henry and other members of the football coaching staff held a series of talks at the Lodge each Wednesday evening thoughout the season. The public was invited, and questions were welcomed.
T.M. Kitchens chaired the committee that organized the Elks Annual Christmas Tree, which was erected in the middle of Tenth Street in from of the Lodge building. Decorated with tinsel, color bulbs and seasonal decorations, the tree served as a backdrop when Santa Claus visited to distribute gifts to the children of Columbia.
At the "Lodge of Sorrow" ceremony, on the first Sunday in December, the names of 51 departed brothers were read. Judge H.A. Collier gave the memorial speech.
Two teams of more than 50 Elks members and other Columbia men set out for the annual Rabbit Hunt on Jan. 9. "Proceeds of the day's search for bunnies will be donated to charity so that all in Columbia who have difficulty in supplying the family larder may have a good supper or so." Some 1,200 rabbits were procured each year. Following the hunt, the losing team served a dinner -featuring, of course, rabbit - to the winning team. -Columbia Daily Tribune, Jan. 6 and 9, 1928