Elks Veterans Service Week Recap
We missed seeing all of you at Convention this year, but we kept the fun going online! Read about Elks Veterans Service Week.
Monday July 13: Re-Creation USA Elks Night!
Re-Creation USA has adapted their regular touring schedule and is now video calling with veterans and performing online shows. On Monday, they hosted Elks Night in recognition of all our support.
You can tune into future shows on the Re-Creation USA Youtube page.
Tuesday July 14: ENVSC Seminar "An Elks Symphony: Sharing Ideas and Building Better Programs Together"
"None of us can whistle a symphony. It takes a whole orchestra to play." - H.E. Luccock
This online seminar offered program updates and advice from outstanding volunteers across the country.
- Montana State Veterans Chair Warene Wall shared advice on how to build effective community coalitions to serve veterans in more rural areas, based on her experience as co-founder of the Carbon Stillwater Counties Yellow Ribbon Community.
- Colorado State Veterans Chair Troy Erickson gave us details about the state association’s partnership with the Colorado National Guard, from its establishment to how it has provided essential support during the pandemic.
- And East Central District Veterans Chair Kelly Mazzochi stepped in for New Jersey State Veterans Chair Don Tonachio to share how the state recruits volunteers and builds community support for their state-wide Welcome Home program.
Watch the recording here.
Wednesday July 15: Military Trivia Night
Congrats to Darrell Quinley of Grandview-Hickman Mills, Mo., Lodge No. 2088 and the team “Bugler, Sound the Charge” from Chicago Northshore, Ill., Lodge No. 1316 who tied for first place!
Thursday July 16: State Veterans Chair Training
In lieu of our annual in-person training, State Veterans Chairs met online to welcome new State Veterans Chairs, talk about adapting our programs to COVID-19 and share ideas.
Friday, July 17: ENVSC Annual Report
We debuted our Annual Report online! Watch the full recording here.
We covered our program successes, celebrated our volunteers and heard from a few project partners.
- We recognized H. Lee Davis of Essex, Md., Lodge No. 1866, who was named the VA National Advisory Committee Volunteer Volunteer of the Year for 2020! Read about Davis' 31 years of service here.
- We heard a video update from Help Heal Veterans, about how Elks leather helped so many veterans during the pandemic, when craft kits were in demand.
- We announced the top 3 states in hide donations for the Veterans Leather Program this year:
- Missouri, with 8,742 hides
- Arkansas, with 3,274 hides
- Iowa, with 2,927 hides
- We also announced the 2020 Elks Veterans Service Volunteer of the Year. Congratulations to Gary Drumheller, Arizona State Veterans Chair and member of Sun City, Ariz., Lodge No. 2599. Hear from Drumheller accept the award from sunny Arizona.
Thanks to all who attended our events, and who contribute to our success!
Back to top