On February 16, 1868, the Elks organization was founded in New York City under the name Jolly Corks by 15 actors, entertainers and others associated with the theater. In ensuing years, membership expanded to other professions.
The Order was established to promote and practice the four cardinal virtues of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity; to promote the welfare and enhance the happiness of its members; to quicken the spirit of American Patriotism and cultivate good fellowship.
To inculcate the principles of Charity, Justice, Brotherly Love and Fidelity; to recognize a belief in God; to promote the welfare and enhance the happiness of its Members; to quicken the spirit of American patriotism; to cultivate good fellowship; to perpetuate itself as a fraternal organization, and to provide for its government, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America will serve the people and communities through benevolent programs, demonstrating that Elks Care and Elks Share.
BPOE Lodge 1811, Walnut Creek, CA
Walnut Creek Lodge 1811 was instituted May 13, 1949.
They started out serving the community right away taking part in the 1950 and 51 Walnut Festival and continued to participate well into the late '90's.
April 19, 1951 the first Exalted Ruler and officers were installed. The first Exalted Ruler Elmer Henson, was also President of the Walnut Festival and City council member
The installation was held in the Metal Veterans Memorial Building. The installing officer was Oliver Fernstermall the Exalted Ruler of Pittsburg Elks Lodge 1474 who was our sponsoring Lodge. The guest speaker at the event was Past President of the California Elks Association and Past Grand Exalted Ruler L.A. Fay Lewis from Anaheim Lodge who spoke on "Elkdom is our Heritage".
They installed 156 new members and 56 transfers from other Lodges, there were 450 guest and dignitaries present at the event.
In 1950 the Walnut Creeks Elks became a member of the new California Hawaii Elks Association or CHEA.
Walnut Creek had a ground breaking on this facility on February 10, 1955. The corner stone was placed in mid-1955.
The Elks moved in to this facility in December 1955.
1973 Arlene Moore became the Lodge secretary and held the position until her death in February 2005, a total of 31 years. She was made an Honorary Life member January 12, 2005.
Walnut Creek took first place in the Ritual Contest in 1981 and 1985.
1984 the Walnut Creek Elks became a member of Bequests and Living Trusts (BLT).
In 1985 the Lodge made a donation to the restoration of the Statue of Liberty.
The ladies club was formed in November 1986.
The dining room remodeled and the bar installed in September 1988.
Walnut Creek has won 17 first place, 4, 2nd place and 2 third place in the Central District Jamboree.
From 1963 to 2011 we have honored 49 Elks of the Year.
We have had 61 Exalted Rulers one of whom was a female.
With one son Garrick following by his PER father Gerry in 2011.