Veterans need Comfort Care Kits
By Amos A. McCallum PGER
Commission Vice Chairman
As our veterans from previous wars and armed conflicts get older, they continue to need our help as do those veterans returning daily from Iraq and Afghanistan. We as Elks must never forget our long-standing pledge, "So long as there are Veterans, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks will never forget them."
Every day we try to fulfill our pledge through a variety of programs for our veterans such as Adopt-A-Vet, the Leather Program, and providing outings, dinners and entertainment for those men and women so deserving for all the sacrifices they made to keep our beloved USA free.
One relatively inexpensive program that is of continual value to all of our veterans and one that can be promoted and run by every lodge in our great fraternity is providing Comfort Care Kits for the homeless veterans in our communities, for the veterans whom each lodge has adopted, and for those in our state veterans homes and VA medical centers.
There are three different kits that provide the basic items for daily hygiene – male, female and unisex. These can be purchased in case lots with the Elks logo and a place for the veteran's name from:
Federated Wholesale, Inc.
6095-D Northbelt Drive
Norcross, GA 30071
Telephone – 1-800-346-0859
Fax – 1-770-458-2633
If you would like a catalog, please call for one. These items are used daily by our veterans; therefore, a continuous supply is necessary. So please don't wait, order now!
This is so little to do for those who gave so much.
Last year the Elks distributed 43,000 kits valued at $101,000, and in 2005 we distributed 55,000 kits valued at $140,000. I ask each lodge to purchase kits and distribute them, making this year the best ever. If we distributed 43,000 kits last year, let's set a goal and strive to distribute 60,000 kits this year. I am confident that we can reach this goal if every lodge is involved.
Let us continue to show our veterans we do not forget them and that "Elks Care – Elks Share!"
VA Hospital Sepulveda
The Vets at the Sepulveda location have the following critical needs for clothing and personal items. All and any donations are very appreciated. The lodge collects these items for routine delivery to the facility. Just place items in the receptacle in the lodge lobby. If you have any questions, please contact your Veterans' Service Committee Chairmen: Bill Mallozzi or Lou Gysin or click here for information about Elks Veterans' Programs.
1. UNDERWEAR (new in package - men's and ladies' XXXL, XL, L & M) Men's Briefs and/or Boxer Shorts sizes 32-54, Women's Underwear sizes 5-12.
2. T-SHIRTS: XXXL, XL and L
3. SOCKS Tube socks are preferable as they will fit most
4. STOCKING HATS (Beanies)
5. SCARVES - prefer dark colors
6. PONCHOS - Adult size or One Size Fits All, heavy duty
7. COATS & JACKETS - warm
8. CLOTHES - CLEAN & SERVICEABLE
9. Financial Donations EARMARKED FOR VA SEPULVEDA CLOTHING ROOM Bldg. 20, Room A109. Make Checks Payable to: "VA-GLA" and on the memo line, please write: "GPF 6259-VA Sepulveda Clothing Room." Please call our Voluntary Service office at 818-895-9325 if you have any questions.
10. Shaving Kit Items: Shaving Cream & Deodorants (travel size), Disposable Razors
YOUR SUPPORT OF THE PATIENT CLOTHING ROOM IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!