More than One Hundered years ago, a few enthusiast Elk Members of neighboring towns conceived the idea of having a truly American Fraternity located in Apollo. Forth-with they contacted the Grand Lodge Officers regarding requirements and necessary procedure, which in the due course of time was effectively worked out and they cleared for the granting of a dispensation to organize a lodge of the B.P.O. Elks in Apollo. The application was finally approved to institue a Lodge of Elks on the evening of October 14, 1897. Thus was born Apollo Elks #386 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
The Jolly Elks from Allegheny Lodge #339 came to install the thirty-eight able bodied men who were to be Charter Members. The Initiation as held in the Diamond Hall on Fourth Street in Apollo. Following the initiation, a banquet was held in the Opera House on Warren Avenue, after which an all night social session was held in the Warrendale Club Rooms in the McLaughlin Building on Warren Avenue.
The early meetings of Apollo Lodge #386 were held in rented club rooms of the Warrendale Club, and later on Novermber 24, 1899 The Trustees leased the second floor of the I.O.O.F. Building on First Street. Later a committee was appointed to investigate the purchase of a permanant home. The committee reported that the Palace Inn could be purchased for $7,000.00 dollars and after the solicitaition of members pledges to the amount of $7250.00 dollars, the Palace Inn was Purchased and after come repairs were made, the building was dedicated as the Apollo Elks Lodge #386 on November 17, 1904.
The original bar and lounge was located in the basement of the building, and with due time, the increase in membership, the bar was moved to the second floor, with a lounge across the hallway.
In 1924 we purchased a 100-acre farm about four miles from Apollo off of the former Apollo-Indiana Road now known to many as Route 56 east. After many years of little improvements, it was designed to put a golf course in place. The nine hole golf course was opened in 1948. With a lot of hard work, and planning in the intervening years, the course flourished and became a challenging course with the growth of young trees and the maturing of the greens and fairways.
On September 12, 1962 the lodge purchased an additional 168-acres from Stella Grace Johnston for $12,000 dollars. We now had enough ground for an additional nine holes, it wasn't until 1995 that we finally were able to begin construction of the additional nine holes known to many of our members and the "Back Nine".
1961 brought the construction of our swimming pool 60 feet by 80 feet assuring plenty of space for our membership.
On the farm that was purchased four miles from Apollo there as a well preserved barn which was soon converted into a Country Club with two floors. This Club was used until 1959 when a large addition was made and the old building was remodeled. Approximately 6-months after completion of the building it was destroyed by a fast moving fire.
Apollo Elks Country Club Burns
Fire of undetermined origin early this morning January 26, 1962, raged through the Apollo Elks Country Club, leveling the building and causing damages estimated from $200,000 to $250,000
The Club, the main structure a converted century old barn, was completely renovated only last year.
The Structure included a Bar Room, Banquet Hall, and Ballroom, Lockerrooms for swimmers, and a pro shop for its golfers, kitchens, and a glass enclosed roof-top, dining area and other facilities.
The Alarm was turned in at 330am today and firemen from the Kiski Twp. Department responded. They promptly called reinforcements from both Apollo and North Apollo.
After the Fire, the Country Club began construction of a new building, and in May 1969 the present Clubhouse was opened.
This new building offers a rectangle bar, with dining room just off the bar room, which provides a beautiful view of its Swimming Pool and Golf Course, in addition a ballroom which will seat 250+ is secluded to the back of the building, and to the side is the Mens and Ladies Locker Rooms and Golfers Pro Shop at the Rear.