Director of Information Technology
Come be a part of the Elks quiet network of good deeds! The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the USA has an opening for the Director of Information Technology in our Lincoln Park headquarters' office.
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the United States of America is one of the oldest and largest fraternal organizations in the country. Since its inception in 1868, the Order of Elks has grown to include nearly 1 million men and women in more than 2,000 communities.
The Elks are committed to the ideals of charity and patriotism. To that end, the Elks have now disbursed, over the course of the Elks history, more than $3.6 billion in cash, goods, and services to the nation's youth, its veterans, the disadvantaged and the disabled, and to individuals and groups in support of patriotic and civic programs. Annually the Elks give more than $200 Million in this fashion, and the Elks are one of the largest private providers of college scholarships in the nation.
The Director of Information Technology provides hands-on leadership in the development, implementation, maintenance and user support of headquarters-wide information technology initiatives and is responsible for the maintenance, development, and user support of the Elks online membership database that is utilized by Elks lodges nationwide.
The Director of IT will plan, coordinate, manage and design all activities of the IT department, as well as provide direction and support for IT solutions that enhance business operations. The Director of IT will report to the COO and work closely with department heads to identify, recommend, develop, implement and support cost-effective technology solutions for all aspects of the organization.
- Technological management of enterprise networks, endpoint computing devices, telecommunications, server computing, and software based systems, database systems, user desktop computing, loss prevention, business continuity and security related infrastructure.
- Keep computer equipment, hardware, software, desktop/laptop environments updated based on industry best practices and in compliance to meet organizational needs.
- Responsible for the membership database maintenance, development, upgrades and patches.
- Ensure compliance with current standards for server, desktop, laptop, security, internet, phone, video, mobile, software, both industry specific, and third party software.
- Builds and maintains IT support structure that is required to ensure uninterrupted IT services.
- Oversee both the in-house and membership system helpdesk.
- Fully responsible for all aspects of the IT-related items at the annual convention. (Network, computers, servers, printers, voting system, phones, Wi-Fi, etc.)
- Serves as a manager, mentor and coach to the IT department staff. This position has 4 in-house direct reports and is responsible for managing the outsourced third party support.
- Responsible for system security and disaster recovery. Implements and maintains effective back-up system to ensure the integrity of all organization critical data and functionality.
- Responsible for headquarters security training.
- Analyze the business requirements of all departments through consultation with upper management to determine technology needs and recommend technical solutions.
- Responsible for determining project schedules and budgets and effectively managing the allocation of resources to achieve these timelines and budgets.
- Ensure the end-user needs are met.
- Keep current on new developments in information systems technology, and plans for future upgrades and organizational needs.
- Maintains the security and privacy of the information systems, communication lines and equipment.
- Develops, reviews and tests all back-up and disaster recovery plans and procedures.
- Formulates and deploys long-term strategic plans for acquiring and enabling efficient and cost effective processing and communication technologies.
- Equipment and software evaluation, purchase and lease negotiations, purchasing.
- Analyze and implement methodologies and language systems, programming, and databases.
- Submit annual operations budgets, recommend major technology purchases for approval and implement/ administer as approved by COO & board level leadership from annually funded budget.
Requirements: Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as computer science, mathematics or business administration, eight years of progressively responsible information technology management experience, including three years of management level experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. A certificate in networking and security or enterprise architecture is a plus.
- Must have Broad knowledge of Information Systems, technical operating environments, standards, and protocols.
- Must have highly developed skills in: organizational, planning, management, presentation, interpersonal, writing and oral communication.
- Must have knowledge of a variety of computer software, systems, servers, telecommunications, applications in word processing, spreadsheets, database and presentation software, etc.
- Must have IT tradeshow or conference experience related to managing and running a fully functioning temporary offsite network. This includes everything from packing and shipping all needed equipment, to setting it up, maintaining it, troubleshooting it, etc. Users need access to registration PCs, a fully functioning off-site office (printers, servers, phones, Wi-Fi), and this position is also responsible for the on-demand voting-tallying system that is used during the annual business meetings/sessions throughout the conference center, etc.
- Must be a proven leader with a superior technical background.
- Must have experience as a database administrator or application developer.
- Must have the ability to adapt to the needs of the organization.
- Must be able to communicate effectively with those who do not have a technical background.
- Must have remote support experience.
- Must have purchasing experience.
- Must have knowledge of:
- Security administration, risk management
- Data loss prevention administration
- Business continuity and disaster recovery recommendation and administration of funded/approved projects
- Government compliance administration (Limited)
- Server/Desktop virtualization administration
- Server administration, architecting & programming
- Database administration, architecting & programming
- Web Server administration
- Network Administration, architecting & programming
- Data System Virtualization/Storage Area Networks
- Application Development Technologies
- Telecommunication Services/ Voice & Data
- Helpdesk administration & review
- Capacity administration & management
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule and have "on-call" availability
- Must have intellectual curiosity and the desire to keep current with evolving IT trends in the industry
- Must have the ability to identify and resolve problems.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize and supervise the work of others.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, members, and vendors.
- Must have the ability to develop long-term plans and programs and to evaluate work accomplishments
- Must have the ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form.
- Must have knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment.
- Must have an elevated level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and diplomacy.
- Analytical ability is required to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various problems, and prioritize work.
- Experience with contracts and contract negotiation strongly desired.
Position will require overnight travel for up to 10 days for the annual convention and up to 5 days for the Mid-winter meeting.
This is an exempt level position. Compensation is based on experience.
This is not an attempt to list all essential functions of this position. It is recognized that job duties may change over time based on the Elks' needs.
Company Paid Benefits Include: Medical, Life and AD&D at 1x base pay, Short-Term Disability (1st 4 weeks are covered at 100%), Long-Term Disability, Employee Assistance Plan, Vacation (15 days), Holidays (10 days), Sick Time (12 Days) 401(k) (with 3% Safe Harbor and 2% Company match).
We are a small nonprofit office. The atmosphere is more like a family run business than a corporation. You are definitely more than a number. Employees work a 37.5 hour work week in a casual environment. Our employees love the work-life balance aspect. Typical work day is from 8:30am-4:30pm M-F, but there is some flexibility in starting/ending times.
Our office is very accessible by public transit (CTA Brown Line and various bus lines.) We also offer free onsite parking.
The Elks Campus is on the border of the Lincoln Park and Lakeview neighborhoods. It is within walking distance to various restaurants and local hot spots; there is something for everyone.
Come work for the Elks and feel good that what you do truly does make a difference.
To apply: Interested candidate should apply online. A cover letter and resume are required for consideration. Candidates must upload a single document that includes a cover letter, resume and salary expectations. Accepted file formats are: .doc, .docx, .rtf, and .pdf. The application process includes completing two pre-employment tests. Please allow approximately 20-30 minutes of time when applying.
No phone calls, please.
Back to top