The 2016 ENF Legacy Awards contest will kick off on September 1, 2015. Applications for the 2016 contest will be available ONLINE ONLY starting September 1, 2015.
The Elks National Foundation is proud to present its 2015 ENF Legacy Awards recipients. Click here to see the full list of winners.
Following are answers to common questions about the Elks National Foundation's ENF Legacy Awards scholarship contest.
Last year, the Elks National Foundation conducted a third-party evaluation of the Legacy Awards program. Click here to read highlights.
- For the 2016 contest, any child or grandchild (or step-child, step-grandchild, or legal ward) of a living Elk who joined the order on or before April 1, 2013, or a charter member of a Lodge that was instituted on or after April 1, 2013, is eligible to apply. The Elk must also be a paid-up member through March 31, 2016. Great-grandchildren are not eligible.
- The applicant must be a high school senior.
The applicant must apply online only.
If the applicant's parent and grandparent are both Elk members, the applicant must apply through the parent's Elks Lodge.
- Applicants must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT) by December 31, 2015.
- Students may apply for more than one ENF scholarship;
however, they may win only one. In cases where the student
qualifies for more than one, we will award the scholarship
with the greater value. Students can accept local and state scholarships, which are separate from the awards at the national level.
- Legacy Awards may only be applied to accredited
US American schools, colleges or universities.
(Note: Applicants from Guam, Panama, Puerto Rico
and the Philippines may apply Legacy Awards toward
schools, colleges or universities in their respective homes.)
- If you are selected as a 2016 Legacy Awards recipient, you will be required to perform service once a year with an Elks Lodge during the four years you are receiving the scholarship. Click here for more information about serving with the Elks.
How Do I Apply, and What Are the Deadlines?
Eligible students should apply in the following manner:
- The student must complete and submit the ONLINE application. The 2016 Legacy Awards application will be available online starting September 1, 2015. The 2016 Legacy Awards applications will be due online by 12:00 p.m. (noon) Central Time on Friday, January 29, 2016.
- The Elk sponsor’s membership will be verified through the BPOE Grand Lodge headquarters.
- When a student registers to complete the online application, both the applicant and Lodge Secretary will be notified by email.
- If you have questions about your online Legacy Awards application, visit our Legacy Awards FAQ page.
- Upon receipt of the application, the applicant will receive a notification that the application was received. Winners will be announced in late April 2016.
Who Will I Compete Against and how are the quotas determined?
Legacy Awards are $4,000 scholarships ($1,000 year for four years). The Foundation offers a total of up to 250 awards.
Children and grandchildren will compete separately against other children and grandchildren in their state. Each state is eligible to receive a number of awards based on its past support of the Elks National Foundation. Each state’s quota is divided evenly among children and grandchildren. In states where the quota is an uneven number, the extra award is allocated to children of Elks, rather than grandchildren.
Who Selects the Legacy Award Winners?
The Selection Committee is appointed by the ENF Board of Trustees, and consists of professionals who are not connected with either the Elks National Foundation or the BPO Elks of the USA. The Selection Committee is responsible for the confidential review of each applicant's file. They determine the Legacy Award winners. All decisions are final.
How Will Applications Be Judged?
The ENF Legacy Awards contest provides educational assistance to children and grandchildren of Elk members who are high school seniors, going on to college, and exhibit the core values of the Elks National Foundation:
The Selection Committee judges applications based on the above values. There will be no further investigation of the prospective students or their parents with respect to financial need or other personal matters.
- Award winners will be announced in late April.
- The award becomes final when the student accepts it
and actually enrolls in an accredited U.S. American school,
college or university. The award money will be apportioned
equally by period (semester, trimester, quarter, etc.).
- Legacy Awards are evidenced by a Certificate of Award
issued by the Chicago office of the Elks National Foundation.
- All checks are paid directly to the school; under no
circumstance can we make payment directly to the student.
- The scholarship monies may be used for tuition and fees,
books and supplies, room and board.
- In order to receive payment, a student must have the school send a completed
Verification of Enrollment form to our
Chicago office. We will then issue our check, payable to the school, and mail it directly
to the school to establish a credit in the name of the student.
We will notify the student when we mail the check.
- If a student leaves school for any reason,
the undisbursed balance of the scholarship must be returned
directly to the Foundation's Chicago office. It may not be
transferred to another school, and it may not be paid to the student personally.
- In all of our scholarship programs, it is the responsibility of the student to follow up on all matters relating to his or her scholarship. In all correspondence relating to a student who has won or is applying for a Legacy Award, we must have the full name and ENF ID number of the student.
Where Can I Get More Information about the ENF Legacy Awards Program or the Elks National Foundation?
Elks National Foundation
2750 N. Lakeview Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614-2256
2016 Award Offers Per State and Area
The following reflects the maximum number of awards a state or area will receive in 2016.
|Maryland, Delaware & DC||6|
Questions? Email Scholarship@elks.org or call 773/755-4732.
Back to top